Tuesday 15 September 2020

“We drank hard and talked about what Debord, who drank persistently and prodigiously, had written about alcohol" (15th Sept 2006)

“We drank hard and talked about what Debord, who drank persistently and prodigiously, had written about alcohol. 'I admire Debord as a perfect and dedicated drinker.' We talked about how, in the early years of his career as a drinker, Debord was always in pursuit of or just arriving at a perfect point of intoxication which, unlike paid labour or any other servile activity, would reveal ‘the true taste of the passage of time’. Drinking was a beautiful poetic game, with its rules and protocols. Debord devoted pages to describing this notion.”
Irina suddenly leaned over to me and said to me “I’m sorry, you’re a nice guy, but you drink too much” before giving me the ultimate private dance. I said to Viktoriya “You hate me?” and she exploded back with real venom “Yes. Because you’re always drunk.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Calcutta was very packed even for a Friday [7th October 2006]

The Calcutta was very packed even for a Friday. I had 3½ pints before going to the Wigmore. To be honest, Frittoli was more voluptuous than ...